Design and optimize turnkey coating devices for wet silver coating and metal evaporation coating.
We need these processes and devices for our own prototyping and manufacturing. We also consider offering coating services and sell coating devices to generate revenue for SENSORICA members.
This process/device is capable of coating the cross section (tip) of single [optical] fibers. The device itself is very low cost, the process takes only minutes, perfect for prototyping and manufacturing.
- Most of our optical fiber displacement/force transducer need metal coating.
- Finish proof-of-concept experiments for single optical fiber evaporation coating. NOT STARTED
- Finish proof-of-concept experiments for silver coating of a single optical fiber in a drop (wet coating in the drop). See ongoing research DONE!
- Launch the crowdfunding campaign (members only) to fund further R&D and product design. STARTING...
- Build two turnkey coating devices, one for wet silver coating and one for metal evaporation coating. under way...
- Set up optical fiber coating services.
- Setup optical fiber coating device manufacturing and distribution. .
- Launch the crowdfunding campaign (members only) to fund further R&D and product design.
- Build a wet silver coating AND metal evaporation device prototype.
- Design a turnkey wet silver coating AND metal evaporation device and its associated manufacturing process.
- Find a manufacturer.
- Setup a coating facility and the coating service on our website.
- Market the wet silver coating AND metal evaporation services and devices.
[This list will be replaced with a UI/script which will automatically pull info from the activity log, and display members involved and their relative contribution. See infrastructure activity cluster for more on infrastructure development.]
For SENSORICA members:
For partners contributing to the crowdfunding campaign or contributing elsewhere:
- first access to this technology
- access to device at cost price
- access to coating services at cost price
- privileged access to training and tutoring
Tools, activities, and processes
- Use this page for coordination.
- A folder for this specific project was created under SENSORICA/Projects/Optical Fiber Coating
- A folder for this specific project was created under SENSORICA/Literature/Optical Fiber Coating, containing relevant papers.
- Items in our Diigo knowledge base will be tagged coating_project . See collection here
- Description of products
- Experiments, results and discussions
Skills and resources needed
Product design, crowdfunding, electronics, automation, Arduino, chemistry, mechanical design...
See our database SENSORICA/Literature/Optical fiber coating
Wet silver coating device concept. Design under way...
Wet coating with mixing
Coating tip and along the fiber