SENSORICA FabMobile - all day 3D printing on the street!
On Friday 29th August 8:00am to 21:00pm, Saturday 30th August 8:00am to 18:00pm at Mont-Royal Foire Commerciale on Mont-Royal Ave. & Christopher Colombus.
Organizers: Sonja (initiator), Tibi, Daniel. Ethienne also participated.
SENSORICA affiliates provided sessions of public education for digital fabrication, 3D printing at Mont-Royal Foire Commerciale.
Onsite demonstration of 3D modeling and 3D printing, using DLP and FDM technologies. You'll have a chance to go home with a 3D printed object!!
This event was organized by ACES/CAKE Canada, a non-for-profit,
playing the role of custodian for SENSORICA, with the mission of
promoting the collaborative economy.
Report of the event
We generated 72$ in donations (5% goes to SENSORICA, the rest will be distributed to cover costs and time spent according to the value equation). More than 80 people asked us for free passes for the initiation course in 3D printing. Over 100 people manifested a strong interest in SENSORICA.
On Sunday (15 June 2014), we presented the 3D printing technology and did outreach for SENSORICA at the tam tam in Montreal.
|Date||Total sales||3D course interested||SENSORICA interested|
- We generated less sales than expected (35$ in total).
|Initial investment in $||$180.00||20.00%||Initial investors get||$3.50|
|Initial investment in time||$364.00||20.00%||Initiators get||$1.75|
|Recurrent costs/event||$185.00||0.00%||Recurrent costs get||$28.00|
|Support roles||$345.00||0.00%||Support roles get||$0.00|
|Pay initial investment||10.00%|
|Pay Initiation role||5.00%|
|Pay Recurrent cost||100.00%||or the rest|
|Pay Support roles||100.00%||or the rest|
- The most valuable item at this event was a custom-made 3D-printed picture that has 3D effects. We had a problem with our computer and we could not run the software that process a pictures into 3D.
- People responded very well to our presence. Most of them were attracted by the novelty of this technology
- We pitched SENSORICA and our projects. 4 people manifested their interest to work with us. Among them, the main coordinator of a Montreal-based miniature electric car hobbyists group.
- 3 people manifested their interest for the 3D printing course and gave us their contact info.
- 1 mechanical engineer who is designing his own 3D printer wants to collaborate with Serge and other SENSORICA members.
- We need larger signs to make it more visible that we do 3D printing
- Chose other locations (Old Montreal, downtown) where people can spend more money on prints, to make this activity sustainable.
- 3D printed objects don't have intrinsic value, people buy them because they want to hold something that was 3D printed and to show their friends and family.
- Custom-made prints are hot, especially if they have something personal, like text, name, photo.
- Make sure we can deliver custom-made prints fast! (need onsite faster computer or internet connection)
This event was more valuable for outreach. We need to finetune the event in order to generate revenue higher than costs. Not too bad for the first shot...